London is served by five international airports: Heathrow, Gatwick, Stansted, Luton and City.
International Eurostar trains arrive at St Pancras International station, which is a 10 minute walk away from UCL. There are ten major national railway stations serving different areas of the UK; timetables and station information is available at the National Rail Enquiries website.
The fastest way around London is by tube (the London Underground) (tube maps, journey planner). There are also plenty of buses (journey planner).
(Note that it is much cheaper to pay for bus and tube tickets by Oyster card or by contactless payment card than by purchasing paper tickets).
Heathrow Express is the fastest way to get to central London from Heathrow airport: 15 minutes to Paddington plus 15 minutes to Euston Square by tube (if you are coming to UCL). Heathrow Connect takes around 25 minutes to Paddington and is around half the price. The cheapest way from Heathrow is by tube (around 70 minutes to stations near UCL).
Details on travel to and from all London airports are available at the Transport for London website.
For further information on getting to UCL see: Reaching UCL by public transport.
You can also see the location of UCL and the main public transport links in this Google map.
The currency in the UK is the pound sterling (symbol: £, ISO code: GBP).
Mains electricity in the UK is 240 volts AC at 50 Hz. Please note that the standard plug socket in the UK is a 3 pin rectangular one and most overseas visitors will require an adaptor. Adaptors are widely available at airports and train stations, and it is advisable to purchase one before or during your journey to the UK but before you arrive at the conference or your hotel and discover that you need one.
There are no official LANMAN 2023 hotels but there are a large number of hotels in London and in the area around UCL. If you wish to stay close to the LANMAN 2023 venue, you should look for a hotel in the Bloomsbury or surrounding areas.
You can consider the following local hotels prefered by UCL:
- The Academy Hotel (5 stars) located at 21 Gower St, London WC1E 6HG (https://www.theacademyhotel.co.uk/).
- Grange Beauchamp Hotel (4 stars) located at 24-27 Bedford Pl, London WC1B 5JJ (https://www.grangehotels.com/hotels-london/the-beauchamp/).
- Grange White Hall Hotel (4 stars) located at 2-5 Montague St, London WC1B 5BU (https://www.grangehotels.com/hotels-london/grange-white-hall/).
- Holiday Inn London – Bloomsbury (4 stars) located at Coram St, London WC1N 1HT (https://www.ihg.com/holidayinn/hotels/gb/en/london/lonbl/hoteldetail).
- Holiday Inn London – Regents Park (4 stars) located at Carburton St, London W1W 5EE (https://www.ihg.com/holidayinn/hotels/gb/en/london/lonrp/hoteldetail).
- Ambassadors Bloomsbury Hotel (4 stars) located at 12 Upper Woburn Pl, London WC1H 0HX (https://www.ambassadors.co.uk/en/).
- Radisson Edwardian Grafton Hotel (4 stars) located at 130 Tottenham Ct Rd, London W1T 5AY (https://www.radissonhotels.com/en-us/hotels/radisson-blu-edwardian-london-grafton).
- Meliá White House (4 stars) located at Albany St, London NW1 3UP (https://www.melia.com/en/hotels/united-kingdom/london/melia-white-house).
- Thistle Bloomsbury Park Hotel (3 stars) located at 126 Southampton Row, London WC1B 5AD (https://www.thistle.com/bloomsbury-park).
- Travelodge London Euston (2 stars) located at 1-11 Grafton Pl, London NW1 1DJ (https://www.travelodge.co.uk/hotels/344/London-Central-Euston-hotel).
You can also consider the 3-star (https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/HotelsNear-g186338-d7889687-University_College_London-London_England.html) and 2-star (https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/HotelsNear-g186338-d7889687-University_College_London-London_England.html) hotels located in central London around UCL.
Emergency telephone numbers
The main emergency number to access the police, fire brigade or ambulance service in the UK is 999 (or 112, the EU-wide emergency number).